Thursday, October 13, 2011

Urban Mountaineering

Year Two of life in a small New England city is underway, with some significant changes:
1. I am noticeably better at teaching than I was last year. Though I still resort to my methamphetamine-paced jabber when I run out of coherent things to say, and sometimes make veiled references to things I shouldn't make veiled references to in front of youth.
2. Julie has moved from lots of part-time jobs to one for-real job: she's running after school programs with an environmental focus in two different housing projects in New Haven. This being Connecticut, there are hiking trails within walking distance of housing projects. In other words, she's doing the way more hardcore version of my job.
3. Jeff Woodward '06 just started at Yale Forestry, so we don't feel like the lone DMCers of the Elm City anymore. Woo hoo!

But, I gotta keep you all entertained. Sometimes, shit just gets real out on the sharp end. Sometimes, the mountains of the Nutmeg State unleash with the fullness of nature's fury. (Seriously, read this: one of the firefighters got injured by a barrage of falling choss.)

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/10/07/news/doc4e8f5260f2f15432754852.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment